The Félix Varela Fellowship Program is the leading workforce initiative for multicultural and bilingual journalist. Our goal is to strengthen the diversity of the multistakeholder model by fostering opportunities for individuals from underserved and underrepresented communities to become active leaders in the media community.
We are looking for an efficient and enthusiastic Fellow to join our Félix Varela Fellowship Cohort 2022-23. You will be working at AL DÍA News, Inc. with Chief Editor, Reporters, Writers as well as Freelancers on a regular basis. Candidates from all regions and sectors are welcome to apply.
Minimum Job Requirements
- United States resident
- Bachelor's Degree in journalism, media, communications, or related field.
- Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
- Strong preference for bilingual candidates, Spanish
- Fellows earn a yearly salary while in the program.
- Training in journalism, innovation, entrepreneurship and leadership.
- Fellows receive a desk and a laptop computer, along with educational programming.
- Work at AL DÍA News, Inc in Philadelphia, PA
- No or very limited physical effort required.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations.
- Knowledge of journalism principles and techniques.
- Skill in the use of journalistic research and methods and techniques.
- Creative writing skills.
- Knowledge of editorial and ethical standards for the research and development of journalistic articles and/or presentations.
Fellowship recipients are expected to:
- Participate in weekly training sessions with Training Center
- Participate in weekly Leadership Development Training
- Engage in Fellowship Program Mentoring processes
- Complete Educational Programming provided by AL DÍA Foundation
- Attend the Félix Varela Scholarship Gala 2022
- Attend the AL DÍA Live events and required activities, including but not limited to Fellowship sessions
- Network and interact with program reporters and news room across the world
- Complete portfolio and present by May 2023
- Complete the post-meeting survey
Duties and Responsibilities
- Receives assignments or evaluates news leads and news tips to develop story ideas.
- Gathers and verifies factual information regarding story through interview, observation, and research.
- Commits to 52 hours of professional development in entrepreneurship, innovation, leadership, and journalism
- Organizes material, determines slant or emphasis, and writes story according to prescribed editorial style and format standards.
- May take photographs or shoot videos to illustrate stories.
- May edit, or assist in editing, videos and/or audios for broadcast.
- Compiles and incorporates supplemental material and background information from a range of sources, such as files, reference libraries, and/or individual knowledgeable sources, as appropriate.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Deadline: May 1, 2022
To apply for the Felix Varela Fellowship Program to be held in Philadelphia, PA, you will need to fill out this form. Please note, that you need to submit the following materials:
1. A resume or CV of no more than 2 pages.
2. One sample of published, public-facing work.