The main award program is the one-year “Felix Varela” Fellowship for College Graduates from Journalism or Media Schools. The “Félix Varela” Fellowship Award for Latinos seeking a career in media is a nation-wide competition to bring to Philadelphia the most competent graduates from school of media and journalism throughout our region and across the United States. The award was established to honor the memory of Father Félix Varela y Morales, an American intellectual of Latino origin who founded one of the first Spanish-language newspapers in the United States, in the city of Philadelphia, at the beginning of the 19th Century (1823).
The Varela Fellowship Awards will be offered in a competition among recent U.S. Journalism School graduates from any J-School located in any of 50 States, who articulate compelling reasons to receive a one-year fellowship from the AL DIA Foundation.
This program is supported by: Comcast Foundation, Lenfest Institute for Journalism and AL DIA News Media, our contributors who believe in independent, local news.
Open call 2022 (closed): https://aldianewsfound.org/fellowapply
We are looking for an efficient and enthusiastic Fellow to join our Félix Varela Fellowship Cohort 2022-23. You will be working at Al Día News, Inc. with Chief Editor, Reporters, Writers as well as Freelancers on a regular basis. Candidates from all regions and sectors are welcome to apply.
Minimum Job Requirements
- United States resident
- Bachelor's Degree in journalism, media, communications, or related field.
- Completed degree(s) from an accredited institution that are above the minimum education requirement may be substituted for experience on a year for year basis.
- Strong preference for bilingual candidates, Spanish
- Fellows earn a yearly salary while in the program.
- Training in journalism, innovation, entrepreneurship and leadership.
- Fellows receive a desk and a laptop computer, along with educational programming.
- Work at AL DÍA News, Inc in Philadelphia, PA
- No or very limited physical effort required.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations.
- Knowledge of journalism principles and techniques.
- Skill in the use of journalistic research and methods and techniques.
- Creative writing skills.
- Knowledge of editorial and ethical standards for the research and development of journalistic articles and/or presentations.
APPLICATION PROCESS (CLOSED)
Deadline: May 1, 2022
To apply for the Felix Varela Fellowship Program to be held in Philadelphia, PA, you will need to fill out this form. Please note, that you need to submit the following materials:
1. A resume or CV of no more than 2 pages.
2. One sample of published, public-facing work.
Start day: Jul 1, 2022