OPEN CALL FOR 2023-2024
We are looking for enthusiastic and thoughtful candidates for the “Félix Varela” Fellowship Cohort 2023-24, which will offer a full year of comprehensive training in AL DÍA News Media headquarters to gain skills and confidence to perform in almost any responsibility of a news media operation.
The fellowship commands a full compensation for the entire year while the fellows reside in the city of Philadelphia, PA.
Candidates from all 50 states of the nation and Puerto Rico are welcome to apply.
- A year of comprehensive training and experience in AL DÍA News Media.
- Gain the skills and confidence to perform in almost any responsibility of a news media operation.
- Full compensation for the entire year.
- United States resident.
- Bachelor's Degree in journalism, media, communications or business.
- Strong verbal and written abilities in the English language.
- Knowledge of the Hispanic history and culture in the US.
- Passion for news media and the key role it plays in our society.
- Strong preference for Spanish-English bilingual candidates.
To apply for the “Felix Varela” Fellowship Program to start in the Summer of 2023 in Philadelphia, PA, you will need to fill out this form.
Please note, that you need to submit the following materials:
1. A resume or CV (no more than 2 pages).
2. Three samples of published, public-facing work.
3. Two letters of recommendation from Faculty.
Deadline: Monday, April 3rd, 2023.
Start day: Monday, July 10 2023.
The main award program is the one-year “Felix Varela” Fellowship for College Graduates from Journalism or Media Schools. The “Félix Varela” Fellowship Award for Latinos seeking a career in media is a nation-wide competition to bring to Philadelphia the most competent graduates from school of media and journalism throughout our region and across the United States. The award was established to honor the memory of Father Félix Varela y Morales, an American intellectual of Latino origin who founded one of the first Spanish-language newspapers in the United States, in the city of Philadelphia, at the beginning of the 19th Century (1823).
The Varela Fellowship Awards will be offered in a competition among recent U.S. Journalism School graduates from any J-School located in any of 50 States, who articulate compelling reasons to receive a one-year fellowship from the AL DIA Foundation.